Translate

Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Ballad of Cash Money

So two months ago my roommate comes up to me and asks "What would you say if I told you I want to get a dog?"

I told him to go for it

I really had no reason to deny him that dog

plus I'm thinking of getting a dog when I move out of Texas

the next day he comes home with a dog, Cash

he's a mix of German Shepard and Lab

awesome dog

he got it from the Petsmart that's in the shopping center that he works at

I did my part and walked the dog when Sharpie was at work or just wasn't home

I didn't want an accident in the house

I ended up spending a lot of time with Cash at the house when my roommate was out

My roommate asked how I liked having a dog

I told him I changed my mind about owning a dog

I didn't want one anymore

they rely on people too much

but the night of the Acl festival Cash kept me company while everyone was out

we both sat on the porch and I put some speakers outside and drank beer

Cash never tried to run off

Cash had a little peeing problem whenever he would get excited

it started to upset Sharpie and Sharpie got tired of it

he told me he was thinking about taking Cash back

I was a little disappointed to hear that cause I was getting attached to Cash

but it never happened

I go on a lot of hikes and at these spots there are dogs all around

so I started taking Cash with me

he would ride in the back of Smokey

he loved it

I would say, "Cash you wanna go play?"

Cash would jump off the couch and start to do a little dance by the door and make a little yelping noise and get crazy excited

these were off the leash parks and Cash loved them

he would run around like a race dog

most of them were trails in the woods with creeks and plenty of shallow swimming holes

Cash played so well with all the other dogs and I would get complements how cool he was

there was one spot that I was training him to swim

he was doing pretty good

there was this one dog park that had a long cement wall that you could sit on while you watch your dog play

Cash would play with the dogs but occasionally would come over and sit next to me

I would put my arm around him while we both sat there and watch the dogs

when it was time to leave he would look for Smokey

one time he jumped on the back of someone's car then jumped into the bed of Smokey

Cash started to sleep with me every night

he was getting attached

it got to the point that he would only sleep with me

I thought Sharpie was ok with the fact that Cash liked me

Sharpie said one night, "Tuna, I don't know what Cash is gonna do when you leave."

So Cash has gotten out more than once but the cool thing is he came back on his own

except one time

he was gone overnight

Sharpie placed a call to a service that finds lost dogs

they found him

Cash was back

but he had a cough

and it wasn't going away

so Sharpie said he was taking Cash to the vet

but in two days Cash was no where to be found

and I missed my buddy Cash

I had a gut feeling that Sharpie took him back where he got him from

but in the two days Sharpie said nothing

so Saturday morning I woke up and went over to the Petsmart where Sharpie got him

with the intention of adopting Cash and back

I saw the little playpens that they put the dogs in but I didn't see Cash

I went up to talk to the lady and told her my situation

she said that Sharpie did bring Cash back and that he was at another Petsmart but she didn't know which one

she gave me a card that had a website that will tell me which store Cash was at

so I drove to the TV station to use one of their computers

I found him at a store up north

when I got there I saw Cash but he was out of the kennel and was on a leash with a couple of guys holding the leash

so I got out of the truck and watched from a distance

I saw the lady filling out some paper work

so I'm thinking well he got adopted and I was too late

then I see them give her Cash back and she puts him back in the playpen

the two dudes drive off

so maybe they changed their minds

So I went over there to ask the lady

Cash saw me and stood up and started wagging his tale and doing that little excited dance and started yelping

I went over to pet him and he was very happy to see me

but he was looking at me like, c'mon let's go, get me out of here, lets
go play!

I went over to the lady and asked if those people adopted that dog

she said they sure did, they left to get the money

she said there were plenty of dogs left she would love to show me

I told her my story

she was sad to hear it

then I told her that I was gonna go over and say goodbye to Cash

that was really hard to do

I went back over to him he was even more excited

I knelt down and talked to him

he was licking my hand while I said goodbye

I stood up and walked away

I gave her my number in case the deal fell through but she said those people loved that dog

I'm sure that Sharpie has his reasons for giving up the dog and I'm sure it wasn't easy for Sharpie either

I'm not mad but I am surprised how attached I got to that dog

it caught me off guard and it actually hurt

He wasn't my dog

But Cash taught me how to own a dog

thank you Cash Money

No comments:

Post a Comment