Translate

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Ok I'm Ready to Tell This Story Part I

SO this happened earlier this year

I had accepted a full time position at Keye here in Austin

the only problem was that the shift started at 4:30 am

I was sure I could do it

but by nature I'm a night owl and I kept going to sleep at around 1 am or so

I don't need much sleep, but weeks of this kept building up

I was losing more sleep week after week

then pulling all nighters on the weekend I was going negative on sleep

was staying up for something like 30 hours

and after a few months it started to affect me

I was like a zombie during my waking hours

and whenever my alarm would go off I was getting more and more pissed in the morning

and I was going in later and later

some people would call me to help me out but I was about to reach a breaking point

and I reached an ugly one

one morning I was woken up an hour after my shift was supposed to be at work

I went in and someone was there in my spot to cover for me

I told this person that I quit

and I was going home and sleeping for a month

I called my boss and left him a message

I told him I couldn't do the shift and that I quit

then I went home

I just quit my job and had no idea what I was going to do or what was my next step

I slept like a baby

my boss called and left me a message

I didn't listen right away

I went to get some food

while gasing up my truck I decided to listen to the message

since I was filling up my truck I went to the side/back of the gas station to listen to the message

my boss was very kind and told me how much he likes me and would hate to lose me

he said I was a great guy and did a great job and to take the day off and call him whenever I was ready

while I was listening to this I was looking down at the ground and noticed an ant hill

I had bought one of those gel ant farms recently and had not mailed off for my free ants

the ant farm was empy

well I was staring at this ant hill and while listening to the message I was thinking "ooh I need some ants, those look like good ones."

I hung up the phone and went to get a little jar and collected some ants

I took them home and placed them in the ant farm

watched them for a little bit

then went to eat

I thought about calling my boss but still wasn't motivated

after I ate I went and checked on the ants

to my surprise there were no ants in the farm

upon closer inspection I notice two tiny air holes on the farm

the ants escaped

I had placed the farm on my window seal

and with my eyes I traced the natural path that I thought the ants would take

when I got to the other end of the window

I saw that all the ants had crawled into a spiderweb

and I watched the last ant be wrapped up by the spider

I thought "man, that didn't go so well. I got those ants killed."

I called my boss

"I'm ready to come back to work."

this is a true story

my buddy Kevin said it's gonna be hard to top this

then I quit again 8 months later

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment