Translate

Sunday, October 31, 2010

I'm Ready to Tell the Story Part II

Ok so I talked with my boss and he hooked me up with a sweet schedule

I now go in at noon thirty and get out at 8:30

I still work weekend mornings but I'm out by 2pm

I'm off Monday and Tuesday

so I get off at 2pm on Sun and don't report back to work till noon Wed

sweet

everything was going great

until August

so in a nutshell what I do is quality control of the on air product

if you have picture and sound on CBS in Austin TV then I'm doing my job

well we recently got Telemundo to add to CBS

we had it for a while and I treat it like the red headed stepchild

well one Saturday morning because of an automated issue a paid program (infomercial)went on the air 15 minutes early cutting into Telemundo Sat morning cartoons

I didn't discover this until 15 minutes later

I thought "oh oh" and I dealt with it

next thing I know on Monday I get a call from my boss

he's not yelling but he asks me to come in and talk to him about what happened this weekend

so I did

he sat me down and with the master control supervisor explained what my mistake cost

he said that what happened got the fcc involved and the lawyers and they're knocking on his doors

he explained the seriousness of this issue

he went on to explain that the station is looking at a $10,000.00 fine

I'm not flinching at this point because I'm already picking up the plan from the first time I tried to quit in my head

he then goes on to say "Vince I'm gonna do what I can but this is probably gonna cost you your job."

he then tells me to go with my supervisor and make a timeline of what happened

I do

when explaining what happened I'm already thinking I'm fired so I tell the truth

I tell him I wasn't watching Telemundo

I tell him "I never do"

he just laughed and said well we can't put that down

he then points out some flaws in the way we monitor that station and we leave it at that

I went to ask my boss what do we do now

kinda like "hey Boss, can you fire me now or are you gonna fire me over the phone?"

but he wasn't in the building anymore

so I went home

and like Duper told me once over the phone whenever he got some bad news(sorry Dupes) he said, "well it's still the weekend and I'm gonna go to the pool"

so i enjoyed my days off

but still applied here and there over the past two days

I never got a call from my boss

but I got a call Wednesday from a job telling me they have an opening right when I'm supposed to go into work that day

so I had a decision to make

do I go into work to be fired?
or quit and go to an interview to be hired?

So I call my boss and quit again

he was at lunch so I left a message

I tell him, "Hey listen Dusty, I never got a call telling me my job status. I understand your position $10,0000 is a lot of money. Someone is gonna want some repercussions. You do what you have to do and I appreciate how you've treated me. But I have bills to pay and I have an interview today so I'm walking away."

so I go to the interview and talk to a guy and while he leaves the room for me to do a survey I get all kinds of calls and texts from work.

there's a message from Dusty and the engineer texted me telling me to not quit

I text back telling them I'm at an interview but I'll call them later

back to the interview, I'm told my job duties

it involves some phones

I hate phones

after the interview I call Dusty

he's yelling in the phone "Vince you tell that guy you don't want his job. You have a job, you work for me. You're not fired I need you, I want you here."

so I tell him

"ok"

I go in late and he calls me into his office

he applogized for not calling me and telling me he likes me, the GM likes me
the master control supervisor likes me they all think I'm a great guy and to hell with the fine

then he tells me "Jeez, I've never seen a guy that wanted to quit so bad."

so not only did I not get fired, I still haven't been written up

In closing, this month I got my yearly employee review

I scored all 3's which is meeting expectations

and I scored one 5 which is exceeds expectations

it was for dependability

scout's honor

1 comment:

  1. because they didnt wanna lose you, they said "fuck the FCC fine". Fuck'em in their little butt.

    ReplyDelete