Translate

Monday, January 30, 2012

I Call That a Wednesday

So last Wed was a pretty normal one for me

at least it started that way

but one thing I love about my life is a normal night can take a pretty interesting turn

so, it's 10:45

I'm done with work

I have my laptop with me and I'm gonna work on something at the station after hours

but first I'm gonna run to the store for something

I leave my laptop with Paulie at work


while at the store I get a call from Mike the Monster

he invites me out for a few beers

that sounds good to me so I take him up on it

well we end up shutting down the bar

and do some after hours drinking at his place

next thing I know it's close to 5 am

so, I leave him and go back to the station to get my shit

and I'm feeling pretty good

scratch that

I was drunk

so I get to the station and Paulie tells me

"man, you might want to get out of here, the morning editor pulled a no call no show."

"if they see you they're gonna make you stay."

I tell Paulie," man, I can't do the show, I'm fucked up."

so I hit the back down and get the hell outta dodge

but as I drive off I start having second thoughts

so this girl Rene directs the morning show

I've know her the whole time I've been at the station

about a decade

and I'm thinking I can't just let her drown

so I hit the u-turn and make my way back to the station

I call Paulie, "Paulie is the editor there?"

Paulie: "nope."

Me: "What time does the show start?"

Paulie:"5:30"

I look at the watch that is not on my wrist and see it is 5:10

Me:"ok, I'm coming back to make the save."

I walk in and I see Rene

she's way over her head and hella stressed

I tap her on the shoulder and she spins around

once she sees me a flood of relief rushes over here

she thanks god and brings me up to speed

I clock in and pull a full morning shift

with no sleep

and drunk

I then came back for my regular shift a few hours later

but the show went off  pretty good

Paulie had to help me with some stuff

I gave him a quick course in editing 101 and we did it

Kate was quoted as saying, "oh thank god for Tuna and his drunken late nights. It saved our ass this morning."

a while back I made the stupid mistake of showing up drunk for my shift

I almost ruined the show back then

this was my make up

I've been lucky to be around long enough to set some things right it seems

No comments:

Post a Comment